‘Enlarge the site of your tent, and let the curtains of your habitations be stretched out; do not hold back, lengthen your cords and strengthen your stakes. For you will spread out to the right and to the left, and your descendants will possess the nations and will settle the desolate towns’. (Isaiah 54: 2-3)
For nearly two years now, our church family at St. James' has been growing... substantially. Not only has the church family grown spiritually - in knowing, loving and living out God's word in the every-day lives of those who worship at St. James', but God has also been calling new people to come and make St. James' their spiritual home. Those who have been part of the church family of St. James' for many years have seen the church move from a situation where the church building faced imminent closure to a sustainable, lively, active congregation of varied ages meeting throughout the week because of their love for Jesus Christ and for sharing that love with people in the community.
We are now at a point where our precious and ancient church building can no longer keep up with the demands of the congregation. For centuries, our historic building has helped to serve the spiritual needs of the village, but now, times have changed and the challenges facing historic church buildings are great. Our current building has no water, sewerage or any additional, flexible space for the congregation. We do not have modern electrical and heating facilities. Yet, the church continues to grow, but the demands are greater than they have ever been.
Our vision as a church is to embark on an ambitious but achievable building project which upgrades what we have in our existing building whilst adding and expanding the building to create a usable, friendly, flexible space that will enable us to encounter God, equip the church and extend the Kingdom.
We aim to:
- Create an extension to the church building from the church tower which will incorporate a glass partition to distinguish between the church building and the new one. The new extension will have toilet facilities, a fully fitted kitchen, and a flexible, versatile meeting space for people of all ages to use.
- Upgrade the interior of the existing church building which will consist of redecorating, moving some fixtures so that we can utilise all of the current space our church provides, upgrading our electricity, lighting and heating so that it is more environmentally friendly and enhances our worship, as well as embarking on some minor remedial works and additions to make the church more comfortable for all who come to St. James'
In addition to this, we hope to better the accessibility of the church by making alterations to our paths and outside lighting which will help many people to connect with their local church.
As a result of these additions and changes, we will
- -be able to put on more events in church
- -be able to accomodate our growing number of children and youth
- -be able to offer the space to the local community at very low rates
- -be able to share the heritage that St. James' has to offer with the wider community
- -be able to provide toilet facilities and hospitality to anyone who visits our church
- -be able to welcome all people and provide for their needs
- -be able to better share the good news of Jesus Christ
All this, of course, will need a lot of volunteer support and fundraising. However, with a very gifted architect and many willing individuals in our church family, as well as you supporting us, we believe that we can achieve our goals in no time at all. The rest of this section of the website is dedicated to our Enlarging the Tent building project. We hope you will find the information useful.
Rev. Dean Aaron Roberts (Curate)